Thursday, May 24, 2018

An old correspondence from Libertarian Viewpoint

While looking for an old email from a friend, I rediscovered this email from an American friend though I have not met him.
----------

October 08, 2010

Nonoy,

Hi, my name is jim kearney. I hope this finds you and yours well. I ran across your name in a list of people writing sections for the book "Why Liberty". Congratulations on being selected.

Your name on that list caught me by surprise which is why I am writing. I was not aware that a think tank existed in Manila. With the new laws that passed saying people who do not believe in government cannot be citizens of PI, it sort of dashed my hopes to moving there. I of course came to the conclusion that the government was pushing for more government control rather then more freedom.

Suddenly I get an email with your name on it and hope is once again renewed. It has always been my dream to retire in the PI. Each year we go there for vacation I want to just stay there instead of returning to the US. Of course, I cannot do that yet since the kids still need me to help them stand on their own. I love my kids but they do not want to live in PI like I do.

Well, anyway, I am interested in your think tank. I run my own Libertarian blog here in the US and would be delighted to try and get some exposure for you there (on a regular basis if possible). I would also like to find other Libertarian minded indiviuals there who would like to be authors on my blog. The more authors I get from around the world the more successful the blog will be.

Please tell me more about your think tank.
I see you have some regular posts - can I repost those on my blog as well. your content would be wlecomed to show that Libertarianism is taking hold world wide and not just here in the US.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
May you be filled with the peace of the world and may prosperity find its way to your wallet

yours in liberty

jimbo
-----------

I replied to Jim of course and expressed gratitude for his letter. He was planning to visit the PH that time, his ex-wife was a Filipina and they have a son who lived in the country. 

Today I checked his blog, he still writes there. Among his recent posts that I like is this, reposting below.
----------- 

You Cannot Legislate The Poor Into Prosperity
By jim kearney, on March 4th, 2018

Adrian_RogersAdrian Rogers was an American Pastor, author and president of the Southern Baptist Convention. Born in West Palm Beach, Florida, he decided to enter the ministries at the age of 19. He dies of pneumonia in November of 2005. I am not the religious type. Though raised as a Catholic I do not follow the church teachings any longer.

None-the-less, I did found info on Adrian to be very informative. He pushed the conservative agenda from the pulpit and believed that Christians had a duty to be involved in government. He had a series titled “God’s Way to Health, Wealth and Wisdom”. In that series he talked about how young people don’t understand the importance or value of “honest” labor. The series produced one of the most famous quotes seen widely across the internet.

I ran across the quote the other day and it started to look into Adrian so I could present it to you here with a little background. Enjoy!

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Yours in Liberty.
-----------

I like these:

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
* What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

Good to see that you're still writing, Jim.

No comments: